The Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education is a programme for continuous knowledge and skill up-gradation for those working in the sector of Early Childhood Care and Education. It is a unique holistic package that equips the learner to foster the holistic development of young children (i.e., children from birth to 6 years of age) and will be of interest to functionaries and teachers working with children in the birth to 6 age group in diverse settings, such as crèches, preschools, pre-primary classes, nursery schools, anganwadis and balwadis; those wishing to set up early childhood care and education centres or managing such centres; parents and others interested in knowing about the development of young children.
The specific objectives of the Diploma Programme are to enable the learner:
- To develop an understanding about the needs and rights of children with emphasis on the socio-cultural context of childhood;
- To understand the development of children from birth to six years of age;
- To plan play activities for fostering development;
- To appreciate the health and nutritional needs of young children and to be able to evaluate a diet as regards nutritional adequacy;
- To be able to identify common childhood illnesses, take care of the sick child and take preventive measures;
- To interact with the community and impart simple health, nutrition and preschool education and early childhood care and education massages;
- To identify children with special needs, to provide early stimulation and take preventive action;
- To gain knowledge and develop skills and attitudes required for working with young children in crèches, preschools, nursery schools, kindergartens and day care centres.