Mr Vikash K Singh
Vikash Kumar Singh is Assistant Professor (Spanish) at the School of Foreign Languages, Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi. He is responsible for the supervision of all the aspects of the Spanish language courses.
His early dream was to be a foreign language speaker; therefore his first degree (B.A. Hons.) was in Hispanic Studies at Jawaharlal Nehru University in 2003. Later, he obtained an MA in Hispanic Studies from the same university in 2005 and Post Graduate Doctoral Research Studies in Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language (Máster Oficial en Enseñanza de Español como Lengua Extranjera) from the Centro de Formación de Profesores del Instituto Cervantes, Alcalá de Henares and Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo, Santander, Spain in 2007.
During his pre-doctoral research studies he was actively involved in the research-teaching practice (A1-B1 level as per the CEFR) at the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas de Madrid-Jesús Maestro, & Centro de Formación de Profesores, Instituto Cervantes, Spain. The results of this experience were accounted in the research work: Análisis de necesidades de los alumnos indios de ELE en las Universidades indias- Recomendaciones para un Currículo centrado en el alumno, submitted to the Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo, Santander, Spain in 2007 under the fellowship of Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo (Ministry of External Affairs and Cooperation, Govt. of Spain).
He was awarded Diploma in Spanish Language (Superior level) by Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo, Santander, Spain in 2004; Certified Examiner of DELE (Diploma of Spanish as Foreign Language)-official accreditation issued by Instituto Cervantes, Spain on behalf of Ministry of Education & Culture of Spain in 2006; and Diploma of Spanish (Superior level) – official accreditation of the degree of fluency of the Spanish Language, issued and recognized by the Ministry of Education & Culture of Spain in 2008. He has also done Advanced Diploma of Proficiency in Portuguese and Certificate of Proficiency in Italian from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
After his return from Spain, he started teaching Spanish at Centre of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian & Latin-American Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Embassy of Peru in India (under India-Peru Friendship Association), New Delhi, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, Instituto Cervantes, New Delhi, Young Women’s Christian Association, New Delhi as a visiting faculty first and later, as Assistant Professor at School of Foreign Languages, IGNOU.
Having concentrated his training and research on teaching & learning of Spanish as a Foreign Language, Vikash Kumar Singh was also a recipient of several research fellowships, which sponsored him as a Visiting Research Scholar at several institutions and universities in Spain, among others, from the Provincial Autonomous Government of Castilla Y León, Spain (2008), Casa de la India, Valladolid, Spain (2008), Spanish Agency of International Cooperation for the Development (Ministry of External Affairs & Cooperation, Spain) in 2005-2006 & 2004, Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of Mexico in 2005, Fundaçao Oriente, Ministry of Education, Portugal in 2005, and Junior Research Fellowship, University Grants Commission in 2005. He is currently pursuing his PhD from Jawaharlal Nehru University & working on his thesis: La adquisición de ELE en el contexto multilingüe de las aulas indias: el desfase entre propuesta metodológica y situación actual.
Training programmes attended
- Teacher’s Training Workshop on Open & Distance Education System, STRIDE, IGNOU (2009)
- Workshop on Audio-Video Production in Open & Distance Education System, STRIDE, IGNOU (2009)
- Multimedia Workshop on Open & Distance Education System, STRIDE, IGNOU (2009)
- Web 2.0 and its application in Open and Distance Education System, STRIDE, IGNOU (2009)
- Superior Level Course on: “Theory of Grammar and Methodology in Teaching of Spanish as Foreign Language”, University of Valladolid, Spain (Dec. 2008)
- Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language, Instituto Cervantes, New Delhi (Dec. 2007)
- Commercial and Business Spanish: Methodology and Didactics, Instituto Cervantes, Alcalá de Henares, Spain (July 2006)
- Spanish in Internet – Internet in Spanish (Use of Information Technology in Language Teaching – Spanish Virtual Classroom, AVE), Instituto Cervantes, Alcalá de Henares, Spain (June 2006)
- Workshop on Grammar: Methodology and Didactics, Instituto Cervantes, Alcalá de Henares, Spain (June 2006)
- Pronunciation of Spanish and its teaching, Instituto Cervantes, Alcalá de Henares, Spain (May 2006)
- Teaching of Spanish to adults with academics purposes, Instituto Cervantes, Alcalá de Henares, Spain (April 2006)
- Workshop on Grammar, Instituto Cervantes, Alcalá de Henares, Spain (Feb. 2006)
- Cognitive Grammar in the classroom of Foreign Language Teaching, Instituto Cervantes, Alcalá de Henares, Spain (Jan. 2006)
- Summer course in Spanish Language, UIMP, Spain (July 2004)
Resource person in workshops/training/orientation programmes
- Paper presentation on Curriculum of Spanish as a Foreign Language in Indian Universities: lack of training and capacity building in the field of Spanish as a Foreign Language in 1st Congress of Spanish as a Foreign Language in Asia-Pacific (CE/LEAP) organized by Instituto Cervantes, Manila & Embassy of Spain in Manila, Philippines, 20-22nd Nov. 2009
- Paper presentation cum workshop on Un currículo de ELE centrado en el alumno: técnicas y estrategias para mejorar la labor docente en las aulas indias in 3rd National Orientation Programme for Foreign Language School Teachers, School of Language, Literature & Culture Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 13-15th Nov 2009
- Paper presentation cum workshop on Desarrollo de competencia intercultural en las aulas indias de ELE in 2nd National Orientation Programme for Foreign Language School Teachers, School of Language, Literature & Culture Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 06-08 Dec. 2007
- Paper presentation cum workshop on Gramática: un bicho raro. Algunos aspectos de la enseñanza del tiempo verbal pasado en las aulas indias organized by Centre of Spanish Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University and Aula Cervantes, Feb 2007
List of publications
- Singh, Vikash K (2009): 'Los currículos de ELE en las universidades indias: falta de capacitación y formación docente en el área de ELE', In El Currículo de E/LE en Asia-Pacífico, pp.368-384. (ISBN: 978-971-92207-3-2 NIPO: 503-10-082-9)
- Singh, Vikash K. & Mathur, I (2010): 'El uso de cine como instrumento didáctico en las aulas indias de ELE en un país de Bollywood', Hispanic Horizon, No.27, 2010, pp 69-88, (ISSN 0970-7522)
Membership of other bodies
- Member, Board, School of Foreign Languages, IGNOU
- Member, Core Expert Committee for Spanish courses, Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi
- President of “India-Peru Friendship Association” (Bharat-Peru Maitreyi Samiti), a non-governmental, non–profit–making civilian organization founded by the Embassy of Peru for the promotion of closer friendship ties between India and Peru and the diffusion and the study of Spanish language & culture
- Member, Organizing Committee, Silver Jubilee Lecture Series 2009-10, IGNOU
- Member, Hispanist & Professor of Spanish in Asia-Pacific
He has provided professional consultancy in the field of Spanish translation, consecutive & simultaneous interpretation, script translation (English-Spanish), sub-titling (Spanish), voice-over (Spanish), proof-reading (English-Spanish) to several private & public institutions, among others, Ayesa S.A.; Isolux-Corsan S.A.; Herbalife S.A.; Satyam Global LifeNet; Instituto de Investigación Clínica de Occidente, México; Indian Council of World Affairs; Care USA; Sulabh International Social Service Organisation; UTV, New Delhi; Humana People to People, New Delhi; Global Network of Religions for Children, Central Asia and Caucasus Region, New Delhi; Infosys, Mysore & Banca Miefl, Mexico; MasterWord Services, Inc. USA; Psychmed, Inc USA; Senate of Spain (Spanish Parliamentarians during their state visit to India; Protocol of the President of Venezuela during the State Visit of President of the Bolivarian republic of Venezuela; GEYR (Zaragoza, Spain); UNESCO & HRD, Govt. of India; E-Value Services Pvt. Ltd., Gurgaon, etc.Official Address:
School of Foreign Languages (SOFL),
Indira Gandhi National Open University,
New Delhi - 110068