The Master’s Degree Programme in Chemistry, i.e. M. Sc. (Chemistry), will be offered (on Campus Full Time). The classroom teaching will be imparted on campus by a team of eminent faculty from the Discipline of Chemistry, SOS and visiting faculty from premier national and international institutions. The classes as well as the practicals will be held at IGNOU, Headquarters at New Delhi.
- To provide opportunities of higher studies to the learners,
- To provide quality education at post graduate level in chemistry and to enable the learners to take certification of Master’s Degree in Chemistry,
- To provide an in-depth knowledge and hands-on training to learners in the area of Chemistry and enable them to specialise in one of the branches of Chemistry,
- To provide the learners the opportunities of continuing education and professional development,
- To widen the scope of the learners for career in the different sectors of the employment,
- To enable the learners to join careers in teaching, industry and research, e.g. M.Phil./ Ph.D.
A learner has to earn 72 credits to complete the Programme. The programme will be offered in a semester mode. There will be four semesters. Thus, a student has to earn 72 credits in four semesters which means 18 credits are to be earned per semester. The minimum duration of the programme is two years. However, a student can complete the programme in a maximum time of four years. There will be common curriculum for Semesters 1, 2, 3 whereas in Semester 4, the learners will be given an option of specialisation in four streams of Chemistry viz. Analytical, Organic, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry. In each semester of which 12 credits will pertain to theory courses and 6 credits to lab work.