Food safety is a fundamental public health concern. The Food Safety and Quality has become an area of priority and necessity for consumers, retailers, manufacturers and regulators. Changing global patterns of food production, international trade, technology, public expectations for health protection and many other factors have created a huge demand for food safety and quality
IGNOU and APEDA have come together to launch this programme, the first such initiative in India, with an emphasis on practical proficiency development exercises. This programme is expected to meet the increasing human resource requirements for food safety and quality management professionals in the agriculture and food sectors.
The core objective of the programme is to develop professionals for development, implementation and auditing of Food Safety and Quality Management in the country. It seeks to develop India’s capability to meet the global food safety and quality requirements and enhance competitiveness of food products. In long term perspective, it would contribute to ensure consumer safety within and outside the country.
This PG programme shall enable the students to:
- Comprehend the issues of safety and quality in food production, handling, processing and trade.
- Build technical proficiency in undertaking food safety and quality assurance in food processing chain i.e., from farm to fork.
- ·Ensure the safety and quality of food products as per mandatory legal requirements and voluntary standards including export regulations, if required.
- Design and implement
- Good Hygienic Practices (GHP)
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP)
- Quality Management Systems (QMS): ISO9001
- Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS) : ISO 22000
- Environmental Management Systems: ISO 14001
- Laboratory Management System: ISO 17025
- Retail Standards
- Be able to effectively plan, conduct, report and audit as per the guidelines of the ISO 19011-2002.
- Undertake Standard Microbiological and Chemical analysis of Food Products.
- Apply Good Hygienic, Manufacturing, Laboratory, Transportation and Retail Practices in Food Processing/ Hospitality industry and Retail outlets.