Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) GOI approached IGNOU for developing a Bridge Programme (Certificate) in Community Health for Nurses (BPCCHN). An MOU was signed with Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) on 16th March, 2016. The MoU was amended on 21st July 2018 to allow Registered Ayurveda Graduate to register for the programme. It is a six months programme of 18 credits (8 credits in theory and 10 credits in practical). It has 2 theory and 1 practical course. The programme was designed and developed with the funding of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, GOI (NHM) and the programme has been has been launched by IGNOU in January, 2017.
The programme aims at improving the knowledge, skills and competencies of registered nurses (RNRM) and Ayurveda Practitioners to enable them to serve as competent human resource essential for strengthening the primary health care services at peripheral level. The programme is linked to Ayushman Bharat.
At present, the programme is open only to sponsored candidates from National Health Mission (NHM), MOHFW, Govt. of India through State Health Mission/ State Government.
The main objectives of the programme are to:
- Enhance knowledge and skill of learners in providing community health care services.
- Develop competencies in dealing with issues of public health.
- Provide comprehensive primary care based on protocols appropriate to subcentre level.
- Perform preventive and promotive actions for improving community health.
- Perform common laboratory investigations.
- Provide treatment based on protocols as appropriate to subcentre level.