It is an Integrated MSc-PhD Programme in Physics and Astrophysics, launched in collaboration with the Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore.
The broad research areas envisaged are Sun and Solar System, Stellar Physics, Extragalactic Astronomy, Theoretical Astrophysics and related areas of Physics and Instrumentation. There is provision for lateral exit after completion of MSc Students are provided stipend as per DST norms and hostel facility at IIA.
- It is targeted towards giving research orientation to students with effect from Post BSc level.
- Broad areas of research envisaged are: Sun and Solar System, Stellar Physics, Extragalactic Astronomy, Theoretical Astrophysics and related areas of Physics, Instrumentation.
- The selection is made on the basis of written test followed by an interview. Generally, the advertisement gets released through the Website of Indian Institute of Astrophysics (www.iiap.res.in) in September, written test is held in December and interview in June.
- Session begins in July. (The schedule given here is subject to change depending on various factors) applications are accepted on-line only. In general the syllabus for the Entrance Test will comprise of Physics & Mathematics at the BSc level.
- The Programme is conducted in residential and face to-face mode. Excellent Hostel facility is provided by the Indian Institute of Astrophysics at a very nominal cost.
- Stipend (Rs. 10,000/- p.m.) and fellowship (as per DST norms - apx. Rs 25, 000/- p. m.) are provided respectively at the stages of MSc. and PhD.
- Every student receives a book grant of Rs 5000/- p.a.
- A mentor, who is a senior scientist, is attached to every student.
- There will be provision for lateral exit after MSc.
- Those who secure at least sixty percent marks at MSc would be eligible for pursuing PhD
- The MSc comprises of 17 compulsory and 2 optional courses (to be selected out of 9). These courses are distributed over 4 semesters (S1, S2, S3 & S4 - These appear as the third and the fourth characters of the Course Codes).